EMERGENCY SCHOOL CLOSING PROCEDURES
In case of inclement weather or a mechanical breakdown, schools may need to be closed for the day. Notification to residents is as follows:
- Message posted on the district website at (www.oaklandschoolsnj.org).
- Text, Email & Voice messages are sent out through our emergency notification phone system, “Reverse 911”. Parents are responsible for indicating how they want to receive notifications in the Parent Portal through Realtime.
- If serious weather conditions develop, we may need to close school early. Please be sure your child’s school has an emergency number that we can use if school is closed early. It is extremely important that your child knows exactly where they are to go or what to do if school should be closed early due to an emergency situation. (Please note specific Delayed Opening Procedures below.)
Use your judgment as a parent regarding safety in your area. Your decision about whether your child should remain at home will always be accepted by our school officials on inclement days. Your understanding and support is appreciated.
NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT CALL POLICE HEADQUARTERS REGARDING SCHOOL CLOSINGS.
THIS TIES UP POLICE LINES AND INTERFERENCE WITH POLICE OPERATIONS
Guidelines for Delayed Opening Days
Please know that on delayed opening days:
- Valley Middle School- Doors open at 9:40 AM
- Instruction begins at 10:00 AM
- Elementary Schools- Doors open at 10:20 AM
- Instruction begins at 10:30 AM
- Morning Preschool will begin at 10:30 AM with a dismissal time of 12:20 PM
- Afternoon Preschool will begin at 1:20 PM with a dismissal time of 3:10 PM
Middle school buses will pick up students approximately two (2) hours later than the regular schedule;
Preschool–Grade 5 buses will pick up students approximately one- and one-half (1 ½) hours later than regular school days.
Emergency Delayed Opening/Early Dismissal School Schedules
Valley Middle School Schedule
VMS Delayed Opening Hours:
9:40am: Students May Enter the Building
10:00am: Instruction Begins
Minimum Day/Early Dismissal Day Hours: (Minimum Day and Early Dismissal are the same Schedule)
7:40am: Students May Enter the Building
8:00am: Instruction Begins
Elementary Schools Schedule
Delayed Opening Hours:
10:20am: Students may Enter the Building
10:30am: Instruction Begins
AM Pre School: 10:30am-12:20pm
PM Pre School: 1:20pm-3:10pm
Minimum Day/ Early Dismissal Day Hours: (Minimum Day and Early Dismissal are the same Schedule)
8:50am: Students May Enter the Building
9:00am: Instruction Begins
AM Pre School: 9:00am-10:30am
PM Pre School: 11:30am-1:00pm
Students in Grades K-8 will have their regular schedule of classes on delayed opening and Early Dismissal days; however, the amount of time for each period will be shortened.
Lunch will not be served on Early Dismissal/Minimum Days.
YMCA Before and After Care Guidelines
(Please refer to YMCA Parents' Handbook)
- When the Oakland Public Schools have a delayed opening, YMCA Before Care is canceled.
- When the Oakland Public Schools have a weather-related early dismissal, YMCA After Care is canceled.
- When the Oakland Public Schools are closed, YMCA before- and after-care will also be closed.
- When the Oakland Public Schools after school activities are canceled, YMCA Aftercare is canceled.